HMCS Haida

The HMCS Haida is a 2,745 ton Tribal class destroyer of the Royal Canadian Navy, built in 1943. Thirteen of the Haida’s sister ships were sunk during the Second World War. Today, only HMCS Haida remains - the last of the original twenty-seven Tribal class destroyers in the world. The Haida is the most decorated Canadian ship (1943-1963). The ship was designated as a National Historic Site of Canada in 1984 by the federal government, and ownership was transferred from the Province of Ontario to Parks Canada in 2002. Today the Haida calls Hamilton Harbour home and is often open for public and schools tours through Parks Canada. For more information click here.